The Early Sartorialist

Friday, February 12, 2010






I suppose you all heard about Scott Schuman, the Sartorialist. Famous for the street style pictures from NYC first and all over the world now. ( I saw him working in Soho last time I was in New York, but no picture of me, he looked at me but I had sneakers... Bad idea... )

Anyway,
I found this great new blog a few days ago.
This blog was created in dedication to the photographer Vivian Maier, a street photographer from the 1950's-1990's.
John Maloof acquired Vivian's negatives while at a furniture and antique auction in Chicago where Vivian resided most of her life. Her discovered work includes about 100 000 (!!) mostly medium format negatives and a ton of undeveloped rolls of film. He still have 600 rolls to develop. Most of her negatives that were developped in sleeves have the date and location penciled in French...

I have been amazed by the strength & life you can see in these. I have a passion for BLACK AND WHITE photography. But I realized that I almost never showed black & white photography here.
Maybe because I was waiting for something that good....

Love the look of that lady in the first picture. Et sa voilette c'est si chic !