Xavier Veilhan

Friday, September 18, 2009






Pictures of Xavier Veilhan's studio from the Selby


Last year I went to the Frieze Art Fair in Regent's Park in London. It was a lot of fun. Almost an overdose of art with the most beautiful galeries in the world showing their best pieces.
I was there expecting a lot from Thaddaeus Ropac.
I was expecting quite much from Emmanuel Perrotin. I was curious to know if he was going to present some pieces of Xavier Veilhan. Unfortunately no Veihlan's pieces anywhere to be seen. He was showing some Bernard Frize, Duane Hanson, Piotr Unlanski and of course Takashi Murakami.


Xavier Veilhan is currently exhibiting at le château de versailles. After Jeff Koons, he is the new artist presented in the gardens and in the château. He is one of the French artists I like and from whom I expect a lot these days. He collaborated with some artists as Air and Sebastien Tellier...
I wanted to show the pictures of Veilhan's studio because when I was working in the contemporary gallery, visiting artist's studios was what I was enjoying the most. Pretty rare stuff.


Xavier Veilhan's work can be described as followed :
"Through his portraits and landscapes, his bestiary and his architectures, Veilhan pursues a constantly regenerated reflection on the status of representation and materialization of the idea; a manufacturer of the visible, he reveals the invisible, inventing parallel works that hesitate between the familiar and the strange."

View of the exhibition "VEILHAN VERSAILLES" in 2009 at Château de Versailles,
Photograph: Florian Kleinefenn
Courtesy: Galerie Emmanuel Perrotin, Miami & Paris
PS : If you want to have a peculiar lighting about Veilhan Versailles visit the Blog of Virginie Marielle.
Terrific idea.